Wednesday, June 17, 2026

Where to begin?

 Greetings and salutations!

I have been spending a bit of time wondering how I am going to approach this page.  It is an idea - but more a waft of one, than a fully formed plan.  I have mentioned being inspired by Mel's halfway through video in A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn. (this is a playlist of the videos as she has read through the book).

I have been trying to find something similar for Australian history.  I have a few candidates.  However, I found a starting point by accident - it was a pleasantly surprising co-incidence that ended up with possibly the only time I have heard Tony Abbott speak without wanting to choose violence. 

I was listening to Radio National in the car while I was driving.  The program 'Big Ideas' was on, and they were playing a discussion at the Sorrento Writers Festival between Mark McKenna and Tony Abbott about their recent books about Australian history.  McKenna's book was on my shortlist, so I stayed and listened instead of playing music.  Needless to say, Tony Abbott's version of Australian history wasn't on my 'To Do' list.. not very objective of me, but, well, truthfully? I just wasn't up for another whitewashed version of Australian history.. especially given the context of my idea.   Links to their books are below: 

 

Here is the link to the ABC Radio National audio: 

Pride or shame? Searching for the story of Australia — with Tony Abbott, Mark McKenna and Sally Warhaft 

This really was a civilised debate between authors who have tackled the same subject matter and I've gotta say, there was depth demonstrated, especially in regard to Indigenous history, that I did not anticipate from Tony Abbott.  Maybe my opinion has been coloured by a variety of differences of political opinion 😝.  I was impressed to listen to these writers support the similarities in their views, and respectfully agree to disagree the differences.  

I will be listening again.  However, it did give me pause to possibly consider giving Abbott's book a looksee.  (I cannot say that I will.. or that I will be able to deal with it.. but maybe if the library has a digital copy I can peruse...)  And it has most definitely opened the world of Mark McKenna's bibliography that I may have to start in on.    

What are your thoughts?  

It would be cool to get a conversation going - pipe dream maybe?  I have also been thinking about creating some sort of audio - maybe a podcast type thing.  However, these are ideas, and there is time 😊

Mxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment